Recipe by Vino Girl
From Cooking Light, September 2007.
Top Review by Souppe du Jour
Made this into cupcakes for my son's 6th birthday, as he specifically requested lemon-lime cake. Baked at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. Used half cake flour and half whole wheat flour, as well as regular eggs. Came out great! Good for a party on a balmy summer day.
- cooking spray
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 177.44 ml egg substitute
- 14.79 ml grated lemon rind
- 14.79 ml grated lime rind
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 532.32 ml flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 314.66 ml low-fat buttermilk
- 4.92 ml grated lemon rind
- 4.92 ml grated lime rind
- 4.92 ml fresh lime juice
- 226.79 g package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 591.47 ml powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).
- Add egg substitute and the next 3 ingredients (through 1 tablespoon juice); beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans.
- Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Cool completely on wire racks coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare icing, place 1 teaspoon lemon rind and next 3 ingredients (through cream cheese) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat).
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup icing.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.