1/1 Photo of Lemon-Lime Layer Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Cooking Light, September 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- 3Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add egg substitute and the next 3 ingredients (through 1 tablespoon juice); beat well.
- 5Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- 6Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture.
- 7Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- 8Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 9Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans.
- 10Carefully peel off wax paper.
- 11Cool completely on wire racks coated with cooking spray.
- 12To prepare icing, place 1 teaspoon lemon rind and next 3 ingredients (through cream cheese) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth (about 1 minute).
- 13Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat).
- 14Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 15Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup icing.
- 16Top with remaining cake layer.
- 17Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.
- 18Chill 1 hour.
- 19Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Lime Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.1
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 23.7 mg
- Sodium 347.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 39.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: