Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a really moist cake and because of the lemon and lime it is super fresh so perfect for summer (if you can tolerate turning the oven on when the sun is blazing!)
- 200 g caster sugar
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black sesame seeds or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 medium eggs
- 260 ml milk
- 240 g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- Preheat your oven to 180C (fan oven).
- Whisk the sugar and eggs together until the mixture is thick and a very light yellow colour.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix the oil, milk, zest and lemon/lime juice together. Don't worry - the citrus will curdle the milk but it all works out ok when you mix it with the rest of the ingredients!
- Slowly add the oil/milk/citrus mixture to the sugar and egg while whisking. Once fully combined, start to mix in the flour and baking powder.
- I wanted to have a bit more of the sesame flavour so put the sesame seeds in a dry pan on a medium to high temperature for a few minutes until the oils and flavours started to come out.
- Mix the sesame seeds into the batter then spoon into mini loaf tins or cases.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered then lightly cover with foil for another 15 minutes. Allow to cool before getting stuck in!
- You can sieve some icing sugar on top or even make an icing and lemon juice glaze but I decided to keep things basic and just left them as they came out of the oven.