Recipe by Sharon123
These powdered sugar-dusted lime and lemon bars are begging to be brought to your next spring potluck. Their irresistible citrus flavor and cute lemon and lime peel garnish means they're sure to be the hit of the buffet table. From Better Homes & Gardens.
Top Review by weekend cooker
For this, I left out the 2 options, powdered sugar, and the lemon and lime peel, and used coconut cream, which added alot of flavor we thought. All in all a very nice mid-morning treat that we enjoyed. Very chewy, as the texture was wonderful. Made for PRMR tag.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut up
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half (can substitute coconut cream)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 drop green food coloring (optional)
- sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- thin strips lemon and lime peel (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Line pan with parchment, pressing the paper onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan; set aside. In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour, the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, the cornstarch and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (mixture will look dry). Press firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes (crust will still look dry).
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, half-and-half and 3 tablespoons flour; divide in two bowls. In one bowl add lemon peel and lemon juice; in the other bowl lime peel, lime juice and green food coloring into other half. Pour the lemon filling over hot crust; bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Carefully pour lime filling over lemon filling; bake 10 to 12 minutes more or until set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Use paper to lift uncut bars from pan. Cut into bars. Sift over powdered sugar. Top with lemon and lime peel, if desired. Refrigerate to store. Makes 32 bars.