Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Additional Information: 626 Calories, 312 mg Sodium, 0 Cholesterol, 41 g Fat, 7 g Sat. Fat., 49 g Carbs, 19 g Protein, 12 g Fiber
- 1⁄2 cup oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 lb masoor dal, picked and rinsed (orange lentils)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons gingerroot, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 serrano peppers or 1⁄2 jalapeno, chopped with seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat 6 Tbsp of oil in large saucepan over med-low heat. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add cinnamon, dal and ginger. Cook stirring often, 10 minutes. Add the stock, cayenne, pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon over lentils. Cook until lentils begin to break down. 50 minutes. Stir often. Add up to 1 cup more water, if needed.
- Heat remaining oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, chile and bay leaves. Cook, stirring, until the onion is browned, 4-5 minutes. Add to the lentils and stir. Remove the bay leaves. Turn into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the cilantro.