Recipe by sszz
This is a hearty and delicious lentil stew with a strong lemon flavor. Serve it with any dinner menu or even as a simple main dish
Top Review by Rita~
I don`t understand the soaking of the pearl barley overnight for it cooks up just as quick as the lentil to a nice chewy texture. I used red lentils for the recipe didn`t state which to use. The recipe would be easier to follow if the ingredients where in order as used. This is a quick to make recipe and can be quicker if the chicken was cooked right in the pot for more direct chicken flavor. This is a tangy tomatoey lemony recipe. Nice and hearty. Yes I did enjoy it. Would have loved some garlic and some heat like pepper flakes added to it. I packed in in individual freezer bags for quick defrost and a healthy low fat lunch. As for the barley----- If this recipe called for Whole barley which includes the bran. I can understand the grain needs to be soaked overnight and then simmered for at least an hour. Barley is a good source of protein one of my favorite grains. Thanks!
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse off the barley and let it soak in a cup of water overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken breast in a baking dish. Zest one lemon on top of the chicken and squeeze all of the juice over it.
- Bake the chicken for approximately 30 minutes or until done (this is for boneless skinless chicken breast, adjust cook time if using chicken with bones).
- Shred the chicken into small pieces and set aside.
- Sauté the onion in a large pot with the olive oil for about five minutes.
- Rinse the lentils and add them to the pot.
- Drain the barley and add it to the pot. Squeeze the second lemon into the pot (be careful not to add any seeds!).
- Add in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, oregano, parsley, and four cups of water. Mix the contents and bring them to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the shredded chicken breast and carrots and simmer for another 5 minutes.