Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great soothing soup for cold winters with hints of ginger and lemon.
- 1419.54 ml vegetable broth or 1419.54 ml chicken broth
- 946.36 ml water
- 354.88 ml green lentils
- 354.88 ml red lentils
- 2 carrots, stalks chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped or 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, large chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 1.23 ml sage
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper, to taste
- 1.23 ml fresh ginger
- lemon rind, zest amount to individual taste
- 28.39 ml red wine or 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- Presoak lentils and rinse or directly boil.
- Bring to boil the 4 cups of water and reduce to medium; add the lentil and start to cook for 15 minutes on medium. Add stock and cook further.
- Simultaneously in a fry pan heat olive oil and add all spices and vegetable (except tomato and lemon rind) and cook on high for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan; add tomatoes and lemon rind.
- Once tomatoes soften combine the mixture with the now boiling lentil and stock and cook until lentil reaches its desired tenderness.
This soup is the best lentil soup ever tried. I would maybe add more carrot and celery but it was great the way it was.