Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great soothing soup for cold winters with hints of ginger and lemon.
Make and share this Lemon Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups green lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils
- 2 carrots, stalks chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, large chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger
- lemon rind, zest amount to individual taste
- 1⁄8 cup red wine or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Presoak lentils and rinse or directly boil.
- Bring to boil the 4 cups of water and reduce to medium; add the lentil and start to cook for 15 minutes on medium. Add stock and cook further.
- Simultaneously in a fry pan heat olive oil and add all spices and vegetable (except tomato and lemon rind) and cook on high for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan; add tomatoes and lemon rind.
- Once tomatoes soften combine the mixture with the now boiling lentil and stock and cook until lentil reaches its desired tenderness.
This soup is the best lentil soup ever tried. I would maybe add more carrot and celery but it was great the way it was.