Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Sugar, chopped pistachios and lemon peel sprinkled on top of these cookies make them extra special. Feel free to use whatever cookie cutters you have on hand.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and water. In another bowl, combine the pistachios, lemon peel and remaining sugar.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with the egg yolk mixture; sprinkle with the pistachio mixture.
- Bake at 350-degrees for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.
This is the BEST cookie I have ever tasted. I did not have lemon extract so I added lime extract and YUMM. I made half the receipe and deceided to add the remainder of the topping straight into the dough. I then took the egg white brushed the cookie and topped with coarse sugar. It was just as great with a different look. This looks like an expensive cookie and tastes like one too.