Recipe by Lizzymommy
Sugar, chopped pistachios and lemon peel sprinkled on top of these cookies make them extra special. Feel free to use whatever cookie cutters you have on hand.
Top Review by jane_cakecreations
This is the BEST cookie I have ever tasted. I did not have lemon extract so I added lime extract and YUMM. I made half the receipe and deceided to add the remainder of the topping straight into the dough. I then took the egg white brushed the cookie and topped with coarse sugar. It was just as great with a different look. This looks like an expensive cookie and tastes like one too.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and water. In another bowl, combine the pistachios, lemon peel and remaining sugar.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with the egg yolk mixture; sprinkle with the pistachio mixture.
- Bake at 350-degrees for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.