Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I'm going to make for Limon, Colorado's Heritage Days in August where they sell slices in a dining car of an old train car. Piecrust rounds are the layers, and this is a prize tested recipe from Better Homes. When I try it, I will review it. Mrs. Norma Coppenbarger was the prize winner. I'm estimating preparation time.
- Roll half the dough to 1/8 inch thickeness.
- Fit into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Prick bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Divide remaining pastry in half.
- Roll each half to 1/8 inch thickness and trim one to an 8 inch circle and the other to an 8 3/4 inch circle.
- Place on paking sheet and prick.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 8-10 minutes and cool.
- Combine sugar and gelatin.
- Add the water, eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice and butter or margarine.
- Cook stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Chill until mixture mounds.
- Whip whipping cream.
- Fold into lemon mixture.
- Place 1 cup filling into baked pastry shell and cover with the 8 inch pastry round.
- Repeat with 1 cup lemon filling and the 8 3/4 inch round.
- Top with remaining filling.
- Chill until set, 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream if desired.