1/2 Photos of Lemon Layer Cake With Lemon Cream Frosting
This recipe was first published in the January 1945 issue of Gourmet magazine as Nun's Lemon Layer Cake. This is the updated and improved version. I hope you enjoy it as we do. It is a very special cake indeed.
My Private Note
8inch l ...
Units: US | Metric
FOR CAKE LAYERS
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- candied violet (optional)
FOR LEMON CURD
- 1Preheat oven to 375*F.
- 2Butter 2 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- 3Butter paper, dust with flour, knocking out the excess.
- 4Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 5Stir together milk and lemon juice (mixture will curdle)> Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 6Gradually add sugar, beating until pale and fluffy.
- 7Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Alternately add flour and milk mixtures in batches, beginning and ending with flour, mixing at low speed until just combined.
- 9Divide batter between pans, smoothing tops.
- 10Bake in middle of oven for about 20 minutes.
- 11Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes, then invert onto racks, remove paper, and cool completely.
- 12To make Lemon Curd; whisk together juice, zest, sugar, and eggs in a 2 quart heavy saucepan.
- 13Stir in butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes.
- 14Transfer to a bowl and chill, it's surface covered with plastic wrap until cold, at least 1 hour.
- 15To make frosting, beat cream and confectioners sugar with cleaned beaters until it just holds stiff peaks.
- 16Fold one third of whipped cream into lemon curd to lighten, then fold in remaining whipped cream.
- 17To assemble cake; put 1 cake layer, rounded side up, on a cake plate and spread with one fourth of frosting.
- 18Top with second layer, rounded side up and spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
- 19Decorate with Candied Violets if desired.
- 20Note: Cake can be assembled 1 day ahead and chilled in a cake keeper or loosely covered with plastic wrap (use toothpicks to hold wrap away from frosting).
- 21Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Layer Cake With Lemon Cream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (1611 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5114.3
- Calories from Fat 2524
- Total Fat 280.4 g
- Saturated Fat 167.2 g
- Cholesterol 1822.9 mg
- Sodium 2044.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 602.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 372.0 g
- Protein 65.0 g