Light and moist with a delicious lemon flavor.
Make and share this Lemon Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 709.77 ml sifted flour
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml butter or 177.44 ml margarine, softened
- 414.03 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 14.79 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 295.73 ml milk
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 4.92 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 453.59 g package confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.
- Line with waxed paper; grease paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and eggs with electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in lemon rind and juice.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating between each addition just until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with finger tip.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; loosen around edges with knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.
- For frosting: Beat butter in a medium bowl with electric mixer until soft.
- Stir in lemon rind; beat confectioners sugar alternately with lemon juice until smooth and spreadable.
- (makes enough frosting for one two-layer cake).