Recipe by Fauve
Light and moist with a delicious lemon flavor.
Top Review by Liz Zzzz©
I thought this was a wonderful cake. We made it for my step-dad's birthday. It was very moist and the flavor was great. I would really recommend this recipe for anyone. I think the problem Anita had was she maybe baked it too long. I kept a close watch on mine while it was baking.
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.
- Line with waxed paper; grease paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and eggs with electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in lemon rind and juice.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating between each addition just until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with finger tip.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; loosen around edges with knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.
- For frosting: Beat butter in a medium bowl with electric mixer until soft.
- Stir in lemon rind; beat confectioners sugar alternately with lemon juice until smooth and spreadable.
- (makes enough frosting for one two-layer cake).