Recipe by Bonnie G #2
This recipe came to me from Taste of Home. Here's the description - These soft rolls are a favorite. I like to experiment by adding different flavors to the creamy filling. credited to an—Eileen Weitnauer, Aitkin, Minnesota. Prep time does not include rising
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm milk (110Â , to 115Â ,)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 4 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar, butter, salt, lemon peel, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each half into 12 balls. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten each ball to a 3-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- n a small bowl, beat all filling ingredients until smooth. Make a depression in the center of each roll; add filling. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.