Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious lemon cookie with surprise chocolate kiss inside.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package milk chocolate kisses
- powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- In large bowl beat butter, sugar and lemon juice until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and almonds; beat at slow speed until well mixed.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Shape a tablespoon full of dough around each chocolate kiss, covering it completely.
- Roll in hand to form ball.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes or until set and the edges are lightly, golden brown.
- After removing from oven allow to partially cool on baking sheet until firm enough to lift (about 10 minutes) then cool on racks completely.
- Lightly dust cookies with powdered sugar.
- In small pan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over each cookie.
These are delightful, unsual cookies. Who would have thought to combine the flavors of lemon,almonds, and chocolate together in one cookie? These taste like tender, buttery shortbread on the outside, with the hidden surprise of the chocolate candy in the center. Definitely let the cookies sit on the cookie sheets a while before attempting to remove - if you remove them too soon, they crumble.
I've made these about 2 dozen times. I don't like lemon and chocolate, but it was good. Since then, I use vanilla extract (omitting juice) or almond extract. I do grind the almonds into more of a flour than chopped up. MMMMMMMM
I liked this cookie, very easy to make. I used a small scoop for the dough and inserted the kiss half way, then filled the remaining scoop. Worked well and baked exactly 10 minutes. I wish the lemon flavor was more prominent, but they were good anyway.