A cross between a cookie and a bar, these are an easy way to make lots of delicious, festive-looking treats for your family or for the neighborhood cookie swap. A couple of observations....the logs spread out a bit and so does the jam in the "trench" while cooking. Watch them in the oven towards the end of cooking, they go from golden to well done bottoms in a skinny second. I rotated the pans about half way through for even cooking. Be sure to follow the recipe for cutting them after about 3 minutes, they crisp a lot when cool. Recipe Source: King Arthur Flour
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemons, powder or 1 -2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4-1/3 cup raspberry jam
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- 2Beat together the soft butter, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and lemon powder until fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and beat in the egg yolk. Mix in the baking powder and flour until well blended.
- 3Divide the dough into four pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 12" long and 1" in diameter. Place two logs on each prepared baking sheet, leaving several inches between them. Use the handle of a wooden spoon or a dowel to make a shallow trench down the center of each log. Fill the well with a generous tablespoonful of jam per log, using a pastry bag with a round tip, or a spoon.
- 4Bake the cookie logs for 15 to 20 minutes, until they're set and lightly browned around the edges. Remove them from the oven, let them cool for 3 minutes, then slice on the diagonal into 1" pieces.
- 5As the cookies cool, make the glaze: Sift together sugar and lemon powder. Heat butter and milk together until the butter is melted, then add to the sugar mixture. Beat until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Jam Slices
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 94.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 73.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: