Recipe by PanNan
This recipe is posted for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I haven't tried it yet, but know I will. It is from the Irish Heritage Cookbook written by Margaret M. Johnson. Note that this recipe should be started the day before baking.
- 1 lemon, zest of, cut into julienne
- 1⁄4 cup Irish whiskey
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar (regular sugar can be processed in a blender of food processor)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Place julienned lemon zest in a small bowl. Add whiskey and let soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs.
- Sift the flour and add to the butter mixture along with the salt. Stir to blend.
- Fold in the ground almonds.
- Strain the whiskey, discarding the zest, and stir the whiskey into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan, and bake about one hour, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.