Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Refreshing! Allow for chilling time.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and yolks; add to butter mixture. Cook and stir until filling reaches at least 160* and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Spoon half of the ice cream into pastry shell; freeze.
- Spread with half of the lemon filling; freeze.
- Repeat layers.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spread over the pie.
- Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.