Recipe by evelyn/athens
From Confident Cooking.
Top Review by Bev
This dessert is light and fluffy, sweet and lemony. It has an incredible flavor, yet I would not classify this as an "ice cream". The texture is not ice cream as I know it, or even a sherbet. This is however, an incredible frozen dessert that I think would be very good served in small portions with a thin, crisp cookie. I made this exactly as discribed in the recipe. I will definitely make this again! Thank you Evelyn, for showing me something new in desserts!
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup cream, lightly whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk or beat yolks in heatproof bowl; set into the top of a double-boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; whisk until light and fluffy and increased in volume; add 2/3 cup sugar, zest and juice, continue whisking until thick and pale; remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form; add 1/3 cup sugar gradually; beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Fold egg whites and cream into lemon mixture; pour into a 7-cup capacity metal freezer tray and freeze 3-4 hours or until firm.