Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Bliss on a hot summer's day. The cooking time includes the freezing time and is only a guesstimate. Please make this cake as close to serving time as possible: you will not want the cake layers to freeze too much, as it will make the cake cutting more difficult.
- 1⁄2 gallon lemon sherbet or 1⁄2 gallon ice cream
- 1 white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 12 ounces Cool Whip, thawed (1 tub)
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 lemon, zest of, cut in superfine strips
- Allow ice cream or sherbet soften slightly.
- Scoop into 9-inch pan line with saran wrap, smooth the surface, cover and freeze for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour bottom only of 2 9-inch pans.
- Blend cake mix with egg whites, water and lemon extract.
- Beat according to instructions on the box.
- Pour into the 2 pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean: the top should "spring" back, when lightly touched in the center.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Trim tops of the 2 cakes even, also trim off all crust (sides and bottom) completely, to have white cake only (makes for a more elegant presentation).
- Remove ice-cream round from freezer and let sit for a few moments, to make the surface soft.
- Mix food color into Cool Whip at this time, if you choose to.
- Put 1 cake round on large plate, add the frozen ice-cream round and top with second cake layer.
- Push down lightly for the ice-cream to adhere better to the cake rounds.
- Cover the cake with Cool Whip, making swirls with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with lemon strips.
- Return to the freezer until ready to serve depending on the setting of your freezer.