Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I found this recipe in an old issue of Taste of Home. It was originally submitted by a lady from San Angelo, Texas. I love the flavor and texture of this ice cream. A real summer-time treat on a hot Texas evening.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 8 -10 cups milk
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar and gelatin; mix well.
- Add half-and-half, lemon juice, and extracts; beat until smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Stir in enough milk, so that mixture measures 1 gallon.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Freeze in batches according to manufacturer's directions.
- Refrigerate extra mixture until it can be frozen.
- Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in your regular freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.
- Remove from freezer a few minutes before serving, so it softens enough to scoop.
- ~NOTE~Prep-time includes mixing the ingredients.
- Cook-time includes freezing in ice cream maker and ripening in freezer.
This ice cream is absolutely wonderful. The flavor and the texture are great. My 2 large lemons ran a little short of the 2/3 cup lemon juice called for so I added a full teaspoon of lemon extract and it worked just fine. I didn't even measure the last addition of whole milk, just put the mixture in my ice cream bucket and added to the fill line. Will make again and again. Thanks for sharing Kim!
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this! My Mom and I just loved a flavor from Edy's Grand called, I believe, Mom's Luscious Lemon Cheesecake. It only came packed in pints or quarts, not the half-gallons (of course, that's not what THOSE are, anymore, either) Well, we've been trying to recreate that taste since then to no avail. THIS sounds like it will fill the bill and then some. So, even without making it, you get 5 stars. It just sounds heavenly, and comes just in time for Mother's Day! Thanks again!