Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lemon extract helps bring out the lemon flavor.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups light cream
- In the top of a double boiler combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and butter.
- Place over simmering water and beat constantly, about 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the lemon extract and cream.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the cold custard well; freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker according to the manufactuer's instructions.
- The ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer container and freeze several hours or overnight.