Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I had the Lemon Ice Box Pie at Cracker Barrel, and was determined to find a copycat. I've adapted this recipe, and I think it fits the bill!
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- yellow food coloring
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- vanilla wafer cookie
- Mix sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice and beat on medium high speed until well blended.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped topping and 2 drops yellow food coloring.
- Pour filling into crust; carefully smooth remainder of whipped topping on top of lemon filling.
- Place vanilla wafer cookies around the edge of the pie (can do this right before serving if you prefer a crisper cookie).
- Cover pie and place in freezer.
- Pie may be kept in freezer for several days until ready to serve.
- Take from freezer 10- 15 minutes before serving.
Its hard to believe something so simple to make can taste so scruptious! Thanks for sharing -we absolutely love it and for sure will be making it many more times. :-)
I worked at Cracker Barrel in college as a cook. I was never a prep cook, but I believe they made this pie (One of my favorites) with Minute Maid frozen lemonade. I remember seeing the can and thinking, "Is that really all there is to it?" The condensed lemonade with the sweetened condensed milk really gives it that jaw wanginess (that is not a word, but it is descriptive!). Just a thought. I'm sure it is a matter of personal taste. Bon Appetite!
I too have been looking for the perfect lemon icebox pie like the one I had at The Bakery in Haines, AK. (Sorry that I never had the Cracker Barrel version.) I have tried other recipes and most used lemonade and were too grainy in texture. This one has the smoothness and lightness that I was looking for. Thanks.