Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the favorite pie of all my six children. We usually have it for the holidays.
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 package graham cracker, crushed
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or 4 tablespoons melted oleo
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Prepare pie crust by mixing crushed graham crackers, butter and sugar in pie plate.
- Pat in place along sides and bottom of plate.
- Refrigerate until set.
- In medium-size bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and rind.
- Blend in egg yolks, mixing well.
- It will thicken.
- Turn into cooled graham cracker crust.
- Top with meringue made by beating egg whites with 3 Tbsp sugar and cream of tartar until it forms stiff peaks.
- Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.
- Chill in ice box about 1-1 1/2 hours before serving.
I have been looking for this recipe for a very long time. My grandmother gave me a recipe book with this one in it and it was my favorite and I cannot find my recipe book, but, here is the recipe...Thanks