These fish cakes are spicy, fresh tasting, and great! Found these in the October 2006 issue #36 of one of the latest magazines from the Martha Stewart empire; Everyday Food. A lot of her recipes are wonderful but you have to be in the mood to watch her show!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs tilapia fillets (About 6)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (About 2 lemons)
- 1 -3 tablespoon bottled white horseradish (Adjust to personal preference)
- 1 1/2 cups coarse saltine crumbs or 1 1/2 cups store-bought cracker crumbs or 1 1/2 cups homemade cracker crumbs
- tartar sauce, for serving (optional)
- parsley sprig, for garnish (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Brush each of two rimmed baking sheets with 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- 3Place fillets on sheets; season with salt and pepper.
- 4Roast until cooked through, 10-15 minutes.
- 5Let cool completely; pat dry with paper towels.
- 6With a fork flake fish into small pieces.
- 7In a large bowl, combine eggs, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice and horseradish. Fold in fish and 1/2 cup cracker crumbs; season with salt & pepper.
- 8Place remaining 1 cup crumbs on a plate. Form 16 cakes, using about 1/4 cup fish mixture for each. Gently dredge cakes in crumbs, pressing to help adhere. *(To freeze; follow the instructions below).
- 9In a large skillet over medium-high heat heat 1 tablespoon oil. Place 8 cakes in skillet; cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes per side.
- 10Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and cakes.
- 11Serve with tartar sauce, if desired, and garnish with parsley sprigs.
- 12*TO FREEZE: Place uncooked cakes on baking sheet and freeze until firm. Wrap each in plastic; transfer to resealable freezer bags. Freeze up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in refrigerator and then continue with Step #9 of the instructions.
Browse Our Top Tilapia Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Horseradish Fish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.5
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 114.8 mg
- Sodium 344.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 25.8 g