Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Made with traditional ingredients used throughout most of North Africa but somehow it has the taste of Morocco to me. My best shot is that it's an old recipe that has been modernized to suite current tastes.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 whole lemons, juiced
- 1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 slices orange zest
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the lemon juice, pistachios and honey and mix together.
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken in a saute pan over the medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the lemon honey pistachio mixture onto the tops of the chicken. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a heavy bottom pot with a lid, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the onions and orzo and cook until golden brown, or until the orzo smells nutty.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with onions and orzo, add the stock, orange zest, saffron, dried apricots, raisins and season with salt.
- Bring the rice mixture to a boil. Stir once and cover with the lid. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rest on the stove top for 10 minutes with the lid on. Add the chopped scallions and fluff into the rice using a fork.
- To serve, spoon the apricot rice onto a plate and top with the lemon honey pistachio chicken.
Delighfully different and really delicious! The rice is so fragrant with the orange and apricot and the chicken is just wonderful with the honey and pistachios and the lemon. I love the way that the two dishes are baked in the oven and ready in the same amount of time. I have never made rice in the oven before, but it was so much more tender that way. Will definitely make this dish again. Made for Make My Recipe Reunion, December, 2012.