Recipe by Ariella
From Bon Appetit. "The cake has an appealing, somewhat coarse texture; drizzled with a honey-lemon syrup, the dessert is reminiscent of baklava."
Top Review by Geri by the Sea
Oh wow. My household just had this cake moist and warm from the honey sauce, and decreed that it was amazing and that we should have it every Passover :) Thanks for a beautiful new tradition! The flavor is luscious, honey with a bit of lemony tang :)
- 1 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup matzo cake meal
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Make syrup: Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil 1 minute. Cool.
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F
- Oil 13 x 9 x 2-inch metal baking pan.
- Finely grind almonds and 1/2 cup sugar in processor; transfer to medium bowl.
- Whisk in matzo cake meal, matzo meal, cinnamon and allspice.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar in large bowl until very thick and pale in color, about 10 minutes.
- Beat in oil and lemon peel.
- Fold in almond mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cut hot cake into 32 squares; leave in pan.
- Drizzle cooled syrup over.
- Let stand until syrup is absorbed, at least 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Cool, cover and store at room temperature.).