Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
First place winner of the Third Annual Foster Farms Fresh Chicken Cooking Contest. "Lemon-Hoisin Glazed Chicken on Roasted Asparagus and Cherry Sesame Rice"
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 11.09 ml salt, divided
- 14.79 ml minced gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 44.37 ml peanut oil or 44.37 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 6 green onions, chopped, with whites and greens divided
- 354.88 ml jasmine rice, rinse well and drained
- 473.18 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 59.14 ml lemon juice, divided
- 158.51 ml dried cherries, chopped (cab sub dried cranberries)
- 14.79 ml toasted sesame oil
- 78.07 ml rice wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml hoisin sauce
- 22.18 ml honey, divided
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 2 small lemons, zest of
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes, divided
- 9.85 ml black sesame seeds
- 453.59 g fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 0 roasted salted almond, roughly chopped
- Mix chicken, one teaspoon salt, ginger, and half of the garlic; set aside.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, warm one tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil. Stir in green onion whites, remaining garlic and jasmine rice. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes or until beginning to toast. Add broth, half of the lemon juice and one teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Uncover, fluff with fork, stir in dried cherries or craisins, sesame oil and remaining green onions. Set aside.
- In large frying pan over medium high heat, warm one tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 minutes or until no longer pink on the outside.
- In small bowl, stir together vinegar, Hoisin, one tablespoon honey, remaining lemon juice, half of the lemon zest and 1/4-teaspoon red pepper flakes. Add sauce to chicken in pan and continue cooking for 10 additional minutes on medium. Raise heat to high and cook for 2-4 minutes until sauce on chicken is dark and has thickened. Sprinkle chicken with black sesame seeds. Remove pan from heat, set aside and keep warm.
- In second large frying pan, warm remaining peanut oil over high heat. Add asparagus, remaining honey, red pepper and remaining salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-4 minutes, or until asparagus is tender.
- To serve, plate rice on serving platter. Top with half of the cilantro, almonds, and roasted asparagus, Top with chicken pieces. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and lemon zest.
I was chosen by HouseParty.com and Foster Farms to host a houseparty featuring the finalists from this year's Foster Farms cooking contest.
This was my favorite of the 6 recipes they sent me. It was involved, and time consuming, and tested my amateur chef skills, but was well worth the extra effort.