First place winner of the Third Annual Foster Farms Fresh Chicken Cooking Contest. "Lemon-Hoisin Glazed Chicken on Roasted Asparagus and Cherry Sesame Rice"
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 green onions, chopped, with whites and greens divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice, rinse well and drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 2⁄3 cup dried cherries, chopped (cab sub dried cranberries)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 2 small lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1⁄3 roasted salted almond, roughly chopped
- Mix chicken, one teaspoon salt, ginger, and half of the garlic; set aside.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, warm one tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil. Stir in green onion whites, remaining garlic and jasmine rice. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes or until beginning to toast. Add broth, half of the lemon juice and one teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Uncover, fluff with fork, stir in dried cherries or craisins, sesame oil and remaining green onions. Set aside.
- In large frying pan over medium high heat, warm one tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 minutes or until no longer pink on the outside.
- In small bowl, stir together vinegar, Hoisin, one tablespoon honey, remaining lemon juice, half of the lemon zest and 1/4-teaspoon red pepper flakes. Add sauce to chicken in pan and continue cooking for 10 additional minutes on medium. Raise heat to high and cook for 2-4 minutes until sauce on chicken is dark and has thickened. Sprinkle chicken with black sesame seeds. Remove pan from heat, set aside and keep warm.
- In second large frying pan, warm remaining peanut oil over high heat. Add asparagus, remaining honey, red pepper and remaining salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-4 minutes, or until asparagus is tender.
- To serve, plate rice on serving platter. Top with half of the cilantro, almonds, and roasted asparagus, Top with chicken pieces. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and lemon zest.