Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The lemony flavour of this dish goes well with plain white rice or mashed potatoes. Lemon thyme is what is asked for but you can use regular thyme and it is still delicious.
- 4 large skin on chicken breasts, bone in or boneless
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemon thyme or 1 tablespoon regular thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped prosciutto (may substitute crumbled, cooked bacon)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
LEMON BUTTER SAUCE
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Loosen the skin slightly from each chicken breast by sliding a finger gently beneath 1 edge, leaving the opposite edge attached, set aside.
- Heat 1 TBS of the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the shallots and garlic and cook until tender and aromatic, but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Take the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, thyme, sage, and prosciutto with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully stuff 1/2 of the mixture under the skin of each chicken breast.
- Heat the remaining 2 TBs oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken, skin side down, until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- Turn and cook another 4 minutes, then transfer the breasts to a baking sheet and bake until the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife at the thickest part, about 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking make the sauce by melting the butter in a small skillet over medium low heat.
- Shake the pan gently so that the butter melts evenly.
- Watch carefully as the butter begins to foam, then take the pan from the heat when the butter turns a light brown and smells slightly nutty (Don't burn).
- Stir in the parsley and lemon juice, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, plus more lemon juice if needed.
- Put the chicken on a hot serving platter, spoon the sauce over and serve.