1 hr 10 mins
Cooking Light 2001
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and section lemons, reserving the peels. Combine lemon sections, oregano, and next 5 ingredients (oregano through garlic) in a bowl, and mash with a fork.
- 2Immerse the top and bottom of a 2-quart clay cooking pot in water for 10 minutes. Empty pot, and drain well.
- 3Remove and discard the giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- 4Rub lemon mixture under and over the loosened skin. Tie ends of legs together with cord. Place lemon peel in body cavity.
- 5Place chicken, breast side up, in bottom of clay pot, and cover with top of clay pot.
- 6Place clay pot in cold oven, and set to 450°. Bake chicken for 50 minutes, and remove top. (The chicken is done when a meat thermometer registers 180°.).
- 7Preheat the broiler. (Do not move the oven rack.).
- 8Return chicken in pot to oven, and broil, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Carefully remove clay pot from oven. Remove chicken from clay pot. Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Discard skin.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1258.9
- Calories from Fat 821
- Total Fat 91.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 414.2 mg
- Sodium 969.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 98.2 g