Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cooking Light 2001
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens
- Peel and section lemons, reserving the peels. Combine lemon sections, oregano, and next 5 ingredients (oregano through garlic) in a bowl, and mash with a fork.
- Immerse the top and bottom of a 2-quart clay cooking pot in water for 10 minutes. Empty pot, and drain well.
- Remove and discard the giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Rub lemon mixture under and over the loosened skin. Tie ends of legs together with cord. Place lemon peel in body cavity.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in bottom of clay pot, and cover with top of clay pot.
- Place clay pot in cold oven, and set to 450°. Bake chicken for 50 minutes, and remove top. (The chicken is done when a meat thermometer registers 180°.).
- Preheat the broiler. (Do not move the oven rack.).
- Return chicken in pot to oven, and broil, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove clay pot from oven. Remove chicken from clay pot. Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Discard skin.