Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We love how roasting brings out the sweet flavor of beets. Golden beets look especially pretty when tossed with the fresh herb and lemon seasoning mix, but any type of beets will work in this recipe. If you’re a lemon lover, be sure to add the squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the beets are roasted. Posted for my DH -- he loves his beets! From eatingwell.com Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 Fat (Diabetic Exchange = 1 Carbohydrate Serving)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs golden beets or 1 1⁄2 lbs red beets, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons dried herbs, such as marjoram, oregano, rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F
- Combine oil, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beets; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the beets evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until the beets are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss the roasted vegetables with lemon juice, if using.
Another nice roasted beets recipe. Watch them closely though, at such a high temperature they go from just browning, to nearly burning quite quickly. I liked the lemon flavour, think I'd add more herbs next time, or make sure the 2 tbsp of fresh herbs is measured after they are minced. I eye balled it and the herbs were a little lost. I like to use roasted beets in salads, so these flavours will be great.