1/3 Photos of Lemon-Herb Chicken With Roasted Vegetables and Walnuts
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Great tasting one dish meal that is impressive enough to serve guests. You could easily add red potatoes or even sweet potato to the vegetables. It produces a perfectly seasoned, tender and juicy chicken. The beets did bleed onto the other veggies giving some of them a pink hue, but it was attractive and can be used to your advantage. This delicious one dish recipe is from Michael Schlow, chef and co-owner of Radius in Boston. WINE: The lemon and the walnuts are the treasures in this roasted chicken and veggie dish and pair excellently with an Oregon Pinot Noir with cherry and berry layers such as a 2001 Torii Mor or 1997 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken (3.5 - 4 pounds)
- 12 sage leaves
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces Brussels sprouts (1 cup)
- 2 medium beets, peeled and cut into eighths (1/2 pound)
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 cup small white pearl onion, peeled
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°.
- 2Halve the lemon and cut 3 very thin slices from 1 half; halve the slices. Squeeze the juice from the other half and set aside.
- 3Loosen the skin over the chicken breasts and thighs and carefully stuff the lemon slices, 8 of the sage leaves and the parsley under the skin. Season cavity with salt and pepper, then stuff it with the remaining lemon, 3 sage leaves, 1 thyme sprig and 2 garlic cloves. Rub 1 tablespoon of the oil over the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together or make slits in skin and pull drumsticks through.
- 4Coat bottom of roasting pan with the remaining oil. Set the chicken, breast side down, in the pan and roast for 10 minutes.
- 5While the chicken is cooking, blanch the Brussels sprouts in boiling water, about 2 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and halve.
- 6Add Brussels sprouts, beets, turnips, onions, carrots and sage leaf, thyme sprig and garlic clove to the roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 1 hour. Add 3/4 cup of stock to the pan and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- 7Raise the oven temperature to 450°. Turn the chicken breast side up and baste. Roast 10 minutes longer, or until the bird is browned and a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°. Transfer the chicken to serving platter and tent with foil.
- 8Place veggies back in oven and roast for an additional 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer the vegetables to the platter and tent with foil.
- 9Set the roasting pan over a burner or pour juices into a heated pot and bring to a boil. Add the remaining 1/4 cup stock and reserved lemon juice and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan (or adding them to the pot. Remove the pan from the heat and swirl in the butter. Season the jus with salt and pepper; transfer to a warmed gravy boat.
- 10Carve the chicken. Sprinkle the walnuts over the chicken and vegetables and serve with the jus.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Herb Chicken With Roasted Vegetables and Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (527 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.7
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 181.9 mg
- Sodium 364.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 48.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs