This dish was an experiment, which resulted in a flavorful success. The chicken breasts turned out very moist and perfectly seasoned, and the rice was just right with a light lemon flavor.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a baking pan, stir butter and rice until rice is thoroughly coated. Then stir in chicken broth, white wine and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. With this mixture, evenly season both sides of chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts atop rice mixture.
- Tightly cover baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid, and chicken juices run clear when breasts are pierced.
Not bad, pretty easy too. I forgot to pound the chicken but it was fine anyway. Skipped the wine, doubled the lemon, and added a 1/2 cup or so of Greek yogurt along with another couple of cups of various frozen veggies. (It was use up random stuff day.) I used equal parts brown, red, and white rice. Weirdly enough, it was the white rice that took longer to cook...probably because I soaked the brown and red rices for an hour or so first, but not the white rice, thinking it wouldn't need it. Next time I think I"ll just skip the soaking part and just let it bake a while longer. If the breasts aren't pounded they take longer anyway so it all works out. I also kind of buried the chicken breasts inside the rice while baking.
Pretty tasty! The chicken was perfectly seasoned, as mentioned. Unfortunately, I couldn't taste the lemon, but my mum could. The cooking time was also perfect. Not a minute too under- or over-cooked. I subbed brown for white rice, and ommited the wine. Very nice for dinner, though. Didn't blow me away, but quite yummy all the same! Thanks for sharing.
Great tasting chicken, & just the right amount for the two of us! I did switch a think or two around, but nothing paramount, I felt ~ I used brown rice instead of the white, & 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper in place of the usual S&P! Served it all with a side of green peas, although another time I might just mix the peas in with the rice & then bake it all! Very nice recipe! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]