Recipe by WiGal
A recipe for the adventuresome from March 2009 issue of BH&G. The recipe creator's name is Priscilla Yee from Concord, CA and she won $2500 for this recipe!! (The idea of blueberries mixed in a corn salad intrigued me, and love all the ingredients so I made this. DS and I liked it a lot, not DH-think the cumin might have been too much for him so if you have a dislike for cumin you should reduce it.) Priscilla was inspired to create this recipe b/c of "her father's post-heart attack switch to a healthier diet. She created this dish with some of her favorite healthful foods. Dad? He just turned 90." Love that story.:) Feel free to sub in green onion tops for the chives. After reading Chef#1227141 review I agree a bit of paprika on the salmon would be even better! I served with brown rice but a noodle thing would be good too. You could make the corn salad a day ahead, I did and it kept very well but I think it tastes better at room temperature.
Top Review by threeovens
I am giving this 5 stars although my husband though the salad was only okay (what does he know). It is a terrific use of healthy ingredients and antioxidants! The salmon came out delicious and paired very nicely with the salad.
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels, cooked and cooled
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chives, snipped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 -20 ounces salmon fillets, 4 fillets each fillet weighing between 4 to 5 ounces, fresh skinless
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- nonstick cooking spray
- lemon slice (optional)
- basil sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the corn salad: In bowl combine corn, sweet pepper, chives, basil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and the 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- For the salmon seasoning mixture: In small bowl, combine lemon peel, cumin, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper.
- Lightly coat both sides of salmon with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over salmon fillets.
- For CHARCOAL grill, grill salmon fillets on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, carefully turning once halfway through grilling.
- For GAS grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place salmon fillets on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.
- Sprinkle a bit of paprika on the salmon.
- Mix blueberries into the corn salad and serve grilled salmon with corn salad.
- Garnish with lemon slices and/or fresh basil sprigs.