Adapted from the Queer Eye TV show; stored here for me to try later. You can substitute scallions for the onion if you prefer.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 (8 ounce) red snapper or 4 (8 ounce) halibut fillets
- 16 lemon slices
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 banana leaves, washed, soaked in water and cut into 10-by-12 inch rectangles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup yellow pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup carrot, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup tomato, sliced thinly
- Heat grill to medium.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with ½ cup olive; add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Brush both sides of fillets generously with lemon mixture and place each in a banana leaf.
- Place 4 lemon slices and a sprig of thyme on each fillet.
- With the short side of the leaf facing you, fold bottom edge over fish; fold sides over fish, then fold package away from you to envelop the fish.
- Secure each packet with 3 wet toothpicks or tie like a girtbox with a wet piece of string.
- Cook the fish packets on grill, about 6 minutes per side ( the leaves will brown, which is OK).
- While the fish grills, sauté garlic in 1 Tbs olive oil over medium-high heat about 1 minute.
- Add the onions through tomatoes and sauté about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender; season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, put a fish packet in the center of each plate, open the leaf and spoon vegetables around fillet.