1/5 Photos of Lemon Grilled Fish in Banana Leaves
echo echo's Note:
Adapted from the Queer Eye TV show; stored here for me to try later. You can substitute scallions for the onion if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 (8 ounce) red snapper or 4 (8 ounce) halibut fillets
- 16 lemon slices
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 banana leaves, washed, soaked in water and cut into 10-by-12 inch rectangles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup yellow pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup carrot, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup tomato, sliced thinly
- 1Heat grill to medium.
- 2In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with ½ cup olive; add thyme, salt and pepper.
- 3Brush both sides of fillets generously with lemon mixture and place each in a banana leaf.
- 4Place 4 lemon slices and a sprig of thyme on each fillet.
- 5With the short side of the leaf facing you, fold bottom edge over fish; fold sides over fish, then fold package away from you to envelop the fish.
- 6Secure each packet with 3 wet toothpicks or tie like a girtbox with a wet piece of string.
- 7Cook the fish packets on grill, about 6 minutes per side ( the leaves will brown, which is OK).
- 8While the fish grills, sauté garlic in 1 Tbs olive oil over medium-high heat about 1 minute.
- 9Add the onions through tomatoes and sauté about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender; season with salt and pepper.
- 10To serve, put a fish packet in the center of each plate, open the leaf and spoon vegetables around fillet.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Grilled Fish in Banana Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.9
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 84.5 mg
- Sodium 170.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 48.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: