Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hearty one dish meal. I always serve it with some crusty, hot fresh breadto get the last of the juices! This is so yummy I wish I could take total credit for it but I revised it slightly from The Pampered Chef's Stoneware Sensations Cookbook. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! NOTE: Per request I revised this from my original post to reduce fat and calories. Please let me know if you like the new version as much as the old. The potatoes will cook much faster if you microwave them for a few minutes before placing them in the pan with the rest of the veggies.
- 9.85 ml lemon zest
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced- more if you like
- 14.79 ml oregano
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper, we like pepper- reduce if you like
- 6-8 medium red potatoes, about the size of a lemon
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, wedged
- 226.79 g mushrooms, cleaned
- 4 bone in chicken breasts (1/2 to 3/4 lbs per breast) or 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Combine first 7 ingredients and set aside.
- Spray a 10x13 pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (Use a larger pan if you have it. The more room the stuff has to spread out the better it cooks).
- Rinse potatoes and cut into fourths. Leave skin on if you like. Place in pan.
- Add bell pepper strips, onion wedges and mushrooms to pan.
- Drizzle half the lemon juice mixture over veggies and toss to coat.
- Place chicken on top and drizzle the remaining lemon mixture on top and brush or rub into meat. I use the back of a spoon or my fingers.
- Bake until chicken is no longer pink in center basting after 15 minutes.
- Note: To reduce fat and calories reduce the olive oil as much as you desire and use boneless skinless chicken. Bake for 1 hr if using the bone in chicken.
- IMPORTANT:::: If the potatoes are still not DONE but the chicken IS -- Remove the chicken and cover with foil- keep warm -- Continue to cook the potatoes until done and return the chicken to the pan to serve -- This WILL keep the chicken from getting dry if the potatoes need extra baking time! AND you can toss the foil for no mess clean up!
- Use a stoneware pan if you have one. They conduct the heat better and the dish cooks faster. You may need to adjust the time if using a metal or glass pan.
- I always add more onions, peppers and mushrooms and get my pan WAY too full! Do not be tempted to do the same- I have found it works better to double the sauce and veggies when I want and cook them separately from the meat. Everything gets done faster and more evenly.
I made this chicken with high hopes and it was yummy! I made one slight adjustment, using Greek Seasoning in place of the oregano... It gave it such a good flavor. This is a keeper, and one I will be making again real soon! I served it up with Lemon Jasmin Rice and Sauteed Green Beans With Garlic and a sprinkle of the Greek Seasoning. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us Hope! Linda
I thought the chicken was great. IMO, I think the potatoes should be cooked on the side. It took forever for them to cook. I doubled the sauce and increased the garlic. I will marinate chicken in the future with this marinade.
Delicious!!!!! Even my very picky 20 yo DD loved how the sauce flavored the mushrooms. I omitted the green peppers as kids don't like them. I cleaned and pricked the redskins and then microwaved them for 3 minutes, then cut them into fourths. I then but all the veggies in the pan and topped them with boneless, skinless chicken breast. I took the chicken out after about 1/2 hour and some of the juice, then put it on the grill and basted a couple of times. I loved the lemony flavor of this meal and that it is so simple, one pan meal!!! Thanks for another great recipe Mama. Made for bevy tag.