Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 10 mins
I made these for a dinner party and was really pleased with how they turned out. It is a fresh summer dish that can be cooked on the barbecue. You will need to soak 40 bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 15 minutes for this recipe. I found this in the Australian Good Taste magazine. In the recipe it recommends to serve with Pumpkin and cashew couscous salad (#202652). Cooking time includes marinating time.
- 40 (1 1/4 kg) green shrimp, peeled with tails intact, deveined (prawns)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and coarsely chopped (half only)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 250 ml peanut oil
- To make the mango mayonnaise, place the mango, egg yolks, lime juice and mustard powder in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream, stopping occasionally to scrape down the side of the bowl, until mixture is pale and creamy. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mango mayonnaise to an airtight container and store in the fridge until required.
- Combine the prawns, lemon grass, lime leaves, sugar, garlic and ginger in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 3 hours to marinate.
- Thread the prawns, tail-end first, onto pre-soaked bamboo skewers. Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Cook half the prawns skewers on the grill for 1-2 minutes each side or until prawns change colour.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining prawn skewers.
- Transfer the mango mayonnaise to a serving bowl. Serve immediately with the prawns and Pumpking and cashew couscous salad.
Great recipe - you can also cheat with mayonnaise and just buy a really good quality mayo and blend the mango (canned if fresh not available) with it