Recipe by Fawzia Muzzaffar
A Thai dish, I was invited to a Thai friend's party and I got the recipe from her, tried it and found good, so sharing it with others
Top Review by French Tart
A very tasty dish that we enjoyed for a light weekend supper. I found that there was a lot of oil, so I would cut back on the oil next time - and the fish sauce was quite salty - again, I will cut back on that next time. However, this was a lovely, light chicken dish with great citrus flavours - I used dried lemon grass that was reconstituted in water for 30 minutes. Made for PAC Spring 2008 - thanks for a lovely recipe! FT:-)
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 1⁄2 kg boneless chicken, cut in medium sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thai chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off the woody tops and bottoms of the lemon grass. Remove the outer second or third layers of the stalk and cut the tender middle section into one inch pieces. Pound the lemon grass in a mortar and pestle or just crush it. Combine crushed lemon grass, chicken, garlic, black pepper, Thai chilli powder, sugar, salt and fish sauce in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for two hours.
- Add oil in a wok,heat for a minute and add the marinated chicken mixture. Stir-fry for 15 minutes( the chicken and sauce will thicken and become caramelised ). Remove from heat and serve with cold cucumber slices, lettuce and rice.