Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from a great cookbook, Quick and Easy Thai. Also included in the Zaar World Tour 2005 swap, Asia.
- 2 stalks lemongrass, long or 4 short stems
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless about 14 ounces total weight
- 1 egg white, small
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 chile, red, small, deseeded, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic chives, fresh and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cilantro, garnish
- lime slice, garnish
- If using the long lemon grass stems, cut in half across the middle to make four short stems for a total of eight stems.
- Coarsely chop chicken in a food processor and add egg white. Process to make a smooth paste. Add carrot, chile, chives, cilantro, salt and pepper and process to mix.
- Place mixture in refrigerator to chill, about 15 minutes. When chilled, divide mixture into eight equal portions. Using your hands, shape the portions around the lemon grass stems. The lemon grass stem will be the "skewer" for the chicken mixture.
- Preheat broiler to medium hot, brush skewers with oil and broil approximately 4-6 minutes. Turn them occasionally until golden brown and cooked thru. These skewers can also be grilled over medium hot coals.
- Garnish with cilantro and slices of lemon (optional) and serve immediately.
This was yummy. I used a dipping sauce with it bc i thought it needed it for my tastes but it was terrific alone as well. Next time i might add some chopped lemon grass right into the mixture as well.
These were easy to make and tasty too. Suggest using wet hands to roll the chicken mixture aroung the lemongrass sticks. The lemongrass was mild in taste......so suggest if you like the lemongrass flavour to be stronger to use the lemongrass in the mixture and then use regular skewers to cook. I used the two large lemongrass to make the required 8 "lemongrass skewers''. Falvours were mild and even enjoyed by my fussy 8 year old. Photo also to be posted. Made for "Make my recipe tag"in the Aus/NZ Forum May 2012
Your ingredients were not clear for the lemon grass stalks. You require 8 stalks to wrap the ingredients around but the ingredients only give you 4. The taste was magnificient! I placed mine in my smoker while I was smoking other meats. The smoky flavor really inhanced the taste.