Prep 3 hrs
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is featured in Martha Stewart's Menus for Entertaining.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 sprigs lemon balm
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon-flavored vodka
- 10 whole lemons (for shells)
- almond extract
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the water, sugar, and 5 sprigs of the lemon balm to a boil over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Discard the lemon balm and cool the syrup over a bowl of ice water until cold.
- Whisk together the syrup, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vodka in a metal bowl and place in the freezer.
- Whisk the mixture every 30 minutes until frozen, about 2-3 hours .
- Remove any ink on the lemons by rubbing with almond extract.
- Cut 1/4 from the stem of each lemon.
- Using a grapefruit knife, cut between the pulp and the pith, the remove the pulp with a grapefruit spoon, scraping the shell clean.
- Using a teaspoon, mound each lemon with granita.
- Keep in the freezer until they are ready to serve.
- Remove from the freezer, garnish each with half a sprig of lemon balm, and serve immediately.