Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- Place lemon juice, zest, and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over low heat for 5 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add 2 cups of water to the juice mixture and mix together well.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow 12x8 inches metal container, and place in freezer until it is beginning to freeze around the edges.
- Scrape the frozen sections back into the mixture with a fork.
- Repeat every 30 minutes until it has evenly-sized crystals.
- Beat the mixture with a fork just before serving.
- Put in chilled glasses.
This is really really lemony! And tart, verging on sour. Which is fine, if that's what you want. I tasted the mix before freezing and added a couple tablespoons of sugar, but wished I had added a few more after freezing was over. It took about 5 1/2 lemons to get the 1 1/4 cups of juice. The amounts of juice and zest in this recipe are quite a lot greater than those in other recipes I have tried. On the other hand, I do love lemon, and will definitely enjoy eating this, maybe together with vanilla ice cream. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. BTW, I just dissolved the sugar in 1 cup hot tap water, then mixed in the other ingredients, because I didn't want to cook my fresh lemon juice and zest, and I was going to freeze them anyway.