Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Choose long thin sweet potatoes, if possible, because they will make a lovely presentation on your holiday table when prepared this way. The potatoes are sliced, arranged in a baking dish, then covered with the glaze and baked until tender and golden.
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- thyme leaves (optional) or fresh parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Zest lemon and set aside; squeeze juice from lemon and also set aside (you should have about 4 tablespoons).
- In a small saucepan, simmer 3/4 cup water with sugar and salt, stirring until sugar dissolves; remove from heat and add lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 10 inch circular or 8 x 10 inch casserole pan with butter.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/8 to 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Arrange potato slices, in overlapping layers, bearing in mind that they will shrink and soften a little when they cook.
- Pour over the lemon syrup, dot with remaining butter, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil, turn oven up to 450 degrees F and bake until most of the liquid has evaporated and potatoes begin to brown slightly on top, 10 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and thyme or parsley, if desired.
my buddies wife gave me a similar recipe, and it is easy and tasty!!