Modified recipe from dallasnews.com -- Published January 12, 2011. NOTE: The school bus cake was made for grandson Jake's 2nd birthday! I used a mixture of lime, lemon, and orange zests, and in the glaze, I used orange juice instead of the lemon juice! Made in a 6-cup school bus pan found on Amazon.com; baked at 350F for 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F for metal, or 325F for glass or stoneware.
- Butter a 6-cup loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch) and line it with parchment or wax paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixer cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer running at low speed, add the eggs one at a time; add the vanilla.
- Working in alternating batches, and mixing after each addition, add the dry ingredients and lemon juice to the butter mixture. Mix until just smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until raised in the center and a tester inserted into the center comes out dry and almost clean (a few crumbs are OK), about 50 to 60 minutes ~ Depending on your oven, and the kind of pan you use, please check the cake at 45 minutes to be sure!.
- When the cake is done, let cool in the pan 15 minutes (it will still be warm). Run a knife around the sides of the pan.
- Set a wire rack on a sheet pan with sides (to catch the glaze) and turn the cake out onto the rack. Peel off the wax paper.
- Lemon Glaze:.
- Combine zest, lemon juice, salt, and sugar in a microwave safe bowl ~ microwave for 1 minute; remove and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Using a pastry brush, spread Lemon Glaze all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Repeat until the entire glaze is used up, including any glaze that has dripped through onto the sheet pan.
- Let cool at room temperature or, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.
- Serve at room temperature, in thin slices.