Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
When it comes to persimmons, a little really does go a long way. These bars are rich and decadently delicious!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup persimmon pulp
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine egg, sugar, and finely chopped dates in a bowl; mix well.
- Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice and baking soda.
- Add a mixture of flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves alternately with pureed persimmons, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Spread in a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until light brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Glaze with a mixture of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
this looks like a recipe a friend gave me so I will give it a try. I think I have actually substituted raisins for 1/2 of dates and chocolate chips for other half... sometimes I also just throw in a bit of oats or bran if a recipe seems to liquidy...
This recipe didn't work. The batter's exterior turned hard but the interior was mush. The glaze also made this dish sickeningly sweet.