Recipe by drhousespcatcher
From Vegetarian Times Aug.
Top Review by blancpage
Oooh, this is exciting, an ice cream sandwich recipe that uses vanilla soy ice cream. It's always tough to run across regular ice cream recipes and then try to sub with soy ice cream, I am always nervous that the recipe won't work as well. This recipe looks like it'll fit my diet pretty well - no egg yolk or milk or dairy products, fabulous! I like that it uses soy margarine, too, although I admit I haven't used soy margarine before iirc. I hope to try this someday, thanks for posting! :) I love ginger and lemon.
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons soy margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 pints lemon sorbet
- 4 cups vanilla soy ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Put molasses in heatproof bowl. Sprinkling the baking soda over top then adding the boiling water. Whisk.
- Blend flour to the salt in a large bowl. In other bowl cream the margarine and the sugar Then add the flour mix and then add the moslasses mix and beat until it forms a soft dough. Divide, wrap in plastic and chill for one hour.
- Put the dough ball into 2 sheets of wax paper. Roll into 8 1/2 inch by 12 1/2 inch shape and remove top sheet. Use a sharp knife and trim dough edges then cut into 12 2x4 inch rectangles. Prick with fork. Transfer to a cookie sheet. Chill for 30 minutes. repeat wtih remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease the cookie sheets. Transfer the rectangles. Bake 8 to 10 mins or until set but still soft. Franfer to wire rack and cook completely unless you want soup.
- Meanwhile scoop the sorbet and ice cream together and blend with a wooden spoon. Freez 20 mins or until firm.
- When bread is cooled, spread the ice cream on the bread. Pat filling down with a spatula. Place the second cookie on top. Press down gently. NOTE GENTLY. Too much pressure and you will have an interesting jigsaw pattern. Scrape away the filling that goes past the edge. Use it to fill in the corners. Smooth. Repeat with remaining cookies. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until firm about 30 minutes.
- Note of course other flavors besides lemon can be used.