1/1 Photo of Lemon Ginger Sunflower Seed Buttery Brittle
Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is so tasty! No nuts. Easy to make for gifts for holidays, especially for people who cannot eat nuts. You don't have to use the ginger but definitely use the lemon!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional if purchased seeds unsalted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- Pam cooking spray
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1In medium saucepan add butter, sunflower seeds, salt, lemon zest, and ginger. Heat on low heat, stirring until covered and warm.
- 2Keep warm in warm oven.
- 3Grease a large jelly roll pan with pam or other shortening.
- 4In large heavy 4 quart saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup and water. Heat slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon. Sugar will turn a golden brown. Do not burn.
- 5Use a candy thermomenter. When the sugar mixture reaches hard crack stage 300*. Pull off heat.
- 6Stir in baking soda and lemon extract. Beat it in thoroughly.
- 7Take warmed sunflower seeds out of oven and fold into sugar mixture.
- 8Spray large flat bottomed spoon with Pam.
- 9Spread candy mixture on jelly roll pan.Even out with bottom of flat bottomed spoon.
- 11Crack into 4 inch pieces.
- 12Store in air tight glass canisters or wrap with waxed paper between layers and put in decorative cups wrapped with colorful cellophane for the holidays.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Ginger Sunflower Seed Buttery Brittle
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.8
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 103.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 52.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g