Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is so tasty! No nuts. Easy to make for gifts for holidays, especially for people who cannot eat nuts. You don't have to use the ginger but definitely use the lemon!
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional if purchased seeds unsalted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- Pam cooking spray
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- In medium saucepan add butter, sunflower seeds, salt, lemon zest, and ginger. Heat on low heat, stirring until covered and warm.
- Keep warm in warm oven.
- Grease a large jelly roll pan with pam or other shortening.
- In large heavy 4 quart saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup and water. Heat slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon. Sugar will turn a golden brown. Do not burn.
- Use a candy thermomenter. When the sugar mixture reaches hard crack stage 300*. Pull off heat.
- Stir in baking soda and lemon extract. Beat it in thoroughly.
- Take warmed sunflower seeds out of oven and fold into sugar mixture.
- Spray large flat bottomed spoon with Pam.
- Spread candy mixture on jelly roll pan.Even out with bottom of flat bottomed spoon.
- Crack into 4 inch pieces.
- Store in air tight glass canisters or wrap with waxed paper between layers and put in decorative cups wrapped with colorful cellophane for the holidays.