Recipe by MarieRynr
When life hands you lemons, make lemon pound cake! Moist on the inside and striped with a sweet glaze, yummmm...
Top Review by Amunet F.
So just totally put a healthy twist on your great amazing great. I found it hard to find a lemon/ginger baked good without tonnes of sugar, milk and butter. I subbed butter for 3/4 cup oil, milk for half/half lemon juice and water on top of your lemon juice already and I added 2 more table spoons of fresh ginger. So yum, still so fluffy. Thanks for the help and try my zinged up version?
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Generously butter a 4 to 5 cup nonstick bundt, kugelhopf or loaf pan, and then flour it, knocking out excess.
- Chill 10 minutes.
- Finely grind together fresh ginger and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor (mixture will be wet).
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt.
- Stir together milk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter, remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS sugar, and zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour and milk mixtures to butter and eggs in 4 batches, beginning with flour and mixing at low speed until each batch is just incorporated.
- Mix in ginger sugar until just combined, then lemon juice.
- Spoon batter into pan, smoothing top, and bake in middle of the oven until golden brown on top and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes (about 1 hour for loaf pan).
- Carefully loosen edges with a knife and immediately invert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar to 1 TBS lemon juice, whisking until smooth and adding more juice, 1 drop at a time, if glaze is too thick.
- Drizzle decoratively over top of cake.
- Serve to six very lucky friends or family members!