Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nonfat yogurt keeps these lowered-fat muffins moist while lemon zest perks up the flavor. Splenda for baking could be used for the sugar and butter for the margarine if you prefer.
- 6 tablespoons stick margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites (or 1/2 cup egg sub)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or line with baking papers.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg whites, one at a time, or egg sub. Add ginger and lemon peel.
- In a separate bowl, add baking soda to yogurt and stir; mixture will bubble.
- Fold flour into sugar mixture, 1/3 at a time, alternating with yogurt. Blend well.
- Divide batter evenly among baking cups.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
I used unsalted butter, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs. They're so good. They rised a lot. Maybe it's my new oven or the muffins lol The taste is unbelievable. Thanks SusieQ :) Made for 123 hit wonders.
Wonderful muffins with a burst of citrus flavor and a hint of ginger. Great combination!
These have a very subtle flavor combo. I might be tempted to add more ginger next time, though. I used a mix of Splenda and sugar. Nice texture for being low-fat!