1 hr 30 mins
A little bit sweet, a little bit fresh and invigorating. Adapted from a higher-fat recipe (this cuts the fat in half with no loss in flavor). It is a somewhat "dry" granola, due to the low amount of oil. Add more fruit juice to make it "clump up" when baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil ((or walnut oil or 1/2c fruit juice))
- 1 tablespoon lemon, rind of
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 ounces candied ginger, chopped very fine
- 1Preheat oven to 250°F.
- 2In a large bowl or small vat combine the oats, germ, nuts, and brown sugar.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil, lemon stuff, powdered/grated ginger, and salt.
- 4Combine both mixtures- tossing very very well (for 3-5 minutes) to distribute the goo evenly and pour onto as many sheet pans as you can find.
- 5Bake for 90 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
- 6About halfway through the process your kitchen and house will start to smell heavenly and your mouth will be watering.
- 7While the granola is baking, chop the candied ginger down to "raisin" size or smaller- this is a pain as it is very sticky, and it doesn't work well in the food processor, unfortunately.
- 8Remove granola from oven and transfer into a large bowl.
- 9Add candied ginger and mix until evenly distributed.
- 10Makes a whole boatload.
- 11Keeps- probably a month, but it won't take you that long to eat it, will it?
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Ginger Granola
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.8
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 196.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: